Credit Card Arbitrage for a Canadian

I recently bought a condo and put down a sizeable amount of downpayment on the place. Then I was reading some Canadian Financial blogs and came across Frugal Trader's article about credit card arbitrage. While I agree with his assessment that taking a 10K and putting it into a high savings account is likely not worth the pain for the gain. I realized that i am in a slightly different situation and that if I borrowed the 10K (actually 12.5K in my case) to pay down against my mortgage (Aside: my mortgage lender will let me pre-pay up to 10% of my outstanding principle) I could get the money to work seriously well for me. I won't disclose my exact lending rate but basically if I can pay off 12.5K of my mortgage instantly and if I am diligent with saving 12.5K in 1 years time (not to hard to do), I will have an amazing after tax return.

What do you think of this idea?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

Back from a Hiatus