Half time TFSA report

What a rough year it's been so far for stocks in general. I've been attempting to buy on the dips but have had an equal amount of successes and failures.

Intrinsically RIM looks cheap and I bought after the drop last quarter at around 55. It's since recovered but it may take some time for investors to see the true value in this one.

For my TFSA I started out the year fairly conservatively. I had kept last year's TFSA account half in cash and half in equities with ING. In hindsight this was not a great move as I only earned 4% last year.

This year, I've moved my TFSA over to iTrade with the hope of taking better control of my destiny.

In Jan 2010, I started the year off with 10,400 in my TFSA. I decided to spread that out evenly between 5 stocks:

GRVY - Gravity Co Ltd Sponsored
SINA - SINA Corporation
DL - Daniel Leather
EMA - Emera Inc
SJR.B - Shaw Communications

As EMA and SJR.B have DRIPs, I am reinvesting all dividends into their shares. These are long term holds that I believe will treat me well.

Based on my 5 choices, I'm heavily skewed towards value. I purchased Danier Leather at the beginning of 2010 at around 6.50. Since then I have achieved a 45% return with the stock trading at 9.50. As for the others I've had moderate success. SINA is up 8% while EMA and SJR.B are both up 6% and 3% respectively.

GRVY started off the year well and was one of the leaders but has in recently months taken a turn for the worst and is now the worst performer.

There's no doubt that GRVY requires a lot of patience. At one point it shot up to over $2.10 a share. In my greed, I failed to put in a stop loss and unfortunately I am now at a loss (on paper) for this position. I still have faith in this company as they are trading at low multiples. The question right now is execution and whether we will see them release the Raganarok 2 game which will no doubt be a big hit in Asia.

All in all, my TFSA is up 9% this year. Not bad considering that the TSX and DOW are -1.5% and -3.17% for the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

Back from a Hiatus