Braggers of their Hot Performing Stocks

I love riding the TTC. It takes me to and from work and occasionally I get to witness the outrageous - whether it's a crazy man that's talking to himself or two friends talking about hot stock picks. I generally prefer the latter type of outrageous because the risk to me is very minimal.

It usually starts like this. One guy is a bragger - he'll brag about how he made a killing shorting some stock or being able to time the market. The other guy, on the other hand just sits there an listens. You can immediately tell that the second guy is an investing newbie because he's listening intently to what the first guy has to say. You can see the disappointment in the newbie's face when he exclaims that he only achieved index performance last year. The bragger makes fun of the index performer and claims that the index performer doesn't have any skill at reading the markets.

I knew it was going to 13,000 the bragger says in a loud voice. I knew Apple was overpriced so I shorted it. Sometimes you have to wonder if the bragger is really a 'stock picking expert' or if he's just highlighting the successful picks that he accomplished. Or, who knows? Maybe he made up everything. After all, it's really easy to predict what happened to the markets in the past. Predicting what will happen is obviously a lot more difficult.

When asked by his index performing friend where he says the market going, the bragger replies - I'm not going to tell you since you don't know what you're doing. This leads me to think that maybe index guy shouldn't trust this so-called 'friend' of his and that maybe his boasts are a wee bit inflated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

Back from a Hiatus