The Consumerist Consumption Mentality

At a recent gathering with some buddies, the topic of what to get our significant others came up. One friend lamented, "Oh man it feels like Christmas was just last week now I have to spend a lot on my significant other again." Notice the wording. He says he has to spend a lot on his significant other -again-. Why is that? Is it for fear that she won't love him if he gets her a 'cheap' gift. Do we live in such a materialistic society that the value of a present is directly related to how much one loves another person?

I casually suggested to my friend that maybe he consider doing something less expensive but romantic nonetheless. He said, well all her girlfriends are expecting to get something nice. She's competitive that way. She doesn't want to be the one stuck with a lousy gift. Wow, I thought to myself. I'm glad I'm not with someone like that.

It's kind of sad when I think about it. Somehow money equates love. No wonder there is so much pressure in our society to put on a facade about how rich we really are.

Driving leased luxury cars that we can't afford. Buying homes that we can barely pay the mortgage for. Buying extravagant luxury trips on credit. Is it any wonder that the average Canadian saves less than they make? It's all a facade. An illusion that we're all doing all right, when in reality we're not. It's all an illusion folks.

If you really love your significant other, it's not about showering them with tons of gifts. It's about doing the little things right and making an effort to show them that you care. Don't be fooled by what everyone else is doing. Trying to keep up with the Jonses will only lead to disappointment and a life lived with continuous disappointment.

Comments

Great Post! ...and I agree 100%.

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

Back from a Hiatus