TTC Metropass using the Discount Plan: Are you really saving? I think not!

I've been recently contemplating purchasing my TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) Metropass using their monthly Discount Plan. How it works is the TTC will automatically debit your account for a 12 month cycle and mail you your TTC monthly pass (which is good for unlimited rides with the majority of the Great Toronto Area). So you might be asking, what would I save in doing this? I'd have to give my chequing account details to the TTC. Do I really want to do this? Well, when you sign up for the Discount Plan, you save approxmiately 10%. Which after a 12 month cycle, means you basically buy 11 months and get 1 free (roughly).

So it sounds like a really good deal right? Well, being the frugal person I am, I decided to research the topic a little more and wondered what would happen if a pass is misdirected in the mail or never sent. How would their customer service deal with it?

Well it turns out the first time a pass doesn't arrive, the TTC will offer you a replacement for free pickup at the Davisville station. Fortunately Davisville is right in the heart of midtown so it should be relatively painless for anyone in the city to get down to the station. Not so bad so far. This Discount Plan sounds very appealing so far.


But what happens if a second time your pass doesn't arrive? What will happen then? It turns out the TTC will replace your pass again(phew!) but they'll also ask you for a new address. New address? What if I didn't move, you ask? Well, it turns out that the TTC now has issues with your address. Maybe your mailbox isn't secure or what not so now they're going to ask that you provide a new address. This is the OFFICIAL policy! Those of us that only have one address would need to shell out some money and purchase a PO box from Canada Post or whatever. Kind of annoying just to get a pass.

While I can certainly understand that the TTC is trying to discourage people from scamming the system, I would like to think that the majority of people purchasing metropasses through the discount plan are honourable and that they would not be out to get the TTC and scam them.

A way of solving this to ensure that passes get delivered properly is to use registered mail. Perhaps they could work with Canada Post and get a discounted rate and then everyone benefits. The mail is traceable and it would reduce the worry the TTC has of people scamming their system.

So until changes are made to the TTC system, I will continue purchasing my metropass through one of the kiosks or through Dominion or Shoppers Drug Mart. To me saving $10 every month isn't worth the potential hassle and time wasted in tracking down a lost metropass IMO.

If you like this post, please consider subscribing to my feed.

Comments

Xteeve said…
Thanx for the post. I was doing my own research about the monthly metropass, when I stumbled on your blog. Going by it's title, we have the same general philosophy of financial success :) I finally decided not to go for it. It's too akin to a contract, and there are 3 or 4 clauses that I didn't like in the terms and conditions. Even then I would have gone for it, if they had given us the option of charging our credit card monthly, since with credit cards, the consumer has some measures of protection in case of dispute. But the TTC are real small-business like when it comes to credit cards. they avoid giving Visa and Masterard their pound of flesh at every opportunity :). Anyway the $100 are not worth it for me. too bad...that's $10 that will have to stay on the red side of my monthly budget
good health said…
Hey I got tired of paying a monthly fee for discount plans. It doesn't make sense that I

have to pay $12.95 just to get a discount...Other than Healthsouk.com does anyone know any

other free discount plans?

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

Back from a Hiatus