Don't Panic - Keep your Discipline

A friend of mine who recently started investing called me up the other day and asked for advice. I immediately reminded him that I'm not a financial advisor nor am I a financial planner but could provide him with advice on what I would do if I were in his situation. To summarize the call, my friend was basically panicking the whole time. He had been watching cbc news the last 3 days with the TSX and DOW dipping every single day. With staggering losses across the board, you'd be hard pressed to find a balanced portfolio that wasn't affected.

He asked me bluntly. Is now a good time to sell? I don't want to lose any more money, he said. As I knew about his situation from before (he's specifically saving for retirement), I told him to hang in there and be disciplined.

In times like this one of the most important things to remember is too stay disciplined and keep a long term strategy (provided you are investing for the long run) and understand that there are blips in the markets. Although we all wish for the markets to ascend in a beautiful straight line, it rarely does so. After assuring him that he really shouldn't sell low, he calmed down.

I'm glad that my friend called me today. I didn't want to see him selling all his stocks as a trigger reaction to this week's events. I know it's human nature to want to sell and get out of a tough situation but if we remember to keep a long term focus and stick with a balanced portfolio of historically stable blue chips, there is a high probability that one will be okay in the long run.

Thanks again for reading the Canadian Dollars Blog.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are not panicking from your purchase into Intel while it fell over 10% this week? - In the long run yes Intel looks good but man you won't caught me on the sinking ship till at least 1 quarter earnings./

Good Post ... Also suggest buying into Defensive stocks or global corps. like JNJ
torontoinvestor said…
Intel I would argue is a global corporation. Not as defensive as a JNJ or P&G, but most of their revenue is from overseas.

I'm definitely not panicking about Intel. It is a long term hold for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

Back from a Hiatus