Financial Forum Expo: My review

This was my first year attending the financial forum expo. Not sure what to expect, I managed to get down to the expo around 1pm. I gave my registration slip to the registration desk and they printed out a badge for me. I'm not a big fan of badges, so I mostly kept the badge in my bag except when asked by booths to scan it.




As you can see by the above picture, the expo was a lot smaller than I had originally envisioned. I've been to many conferences and events at the Metro Convention Centre in the past and this was definitely one of the smaller events. I think in total there were less than 100 booths.

The Canadian Banks with relatively strong wealth management solutions were present: BMO, TD Bank and Royal. Absent were CIBC and Scotia. Given the trouble that CIBC has been having with managing their own investments, it's probably wise of them to sit this one out before giving out advise to would be clients.

Also present were a lot of brokerage houses like ETrade, ING Direct to name a few. Claymore was there as well and they were helpful in talking with me about how their products differ from their primary competitor, Barclays. They gave me a folder of information which I will definitely read.

In addition to the usual financial services companies, there were a lot of TSX Venture companies trying to build up hype for their products. I view these stocks as more or less a gamble and would not treat these as 'serious' investments. Even still it was very refreshing to see a lot of companies in the renewable energy space advertise and try to make a name for themselves.



As with any event like this, there are plenty of 'get rich quick' schemes. As I like to think that I'm not a sheep myself, I just walked by those booths. Fact is if something is too good to be true - chances are it is. Or the Tulsiani Brothers and their "No money down" for buying real estate in Canada. I'm pretty sure I've heard that 'claim' before on tv. Wasn't it on an infomercial? Oh wait maybe I'm getting that mixed up with Dr. Ho!



Above is a picture of some of the free stuff I grabbed from the expo. Sadly, the items are kind of weak. Judging by the picture, you'd think that only the CDIC (Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation) was giving out freebies. Oh and that giant sized toonie? That's just a foil wrapped chocolate given out by the CFP. Sadly the freebies at this event were kinda weak. There were some newspapers given out, but I already have a free subscription to National Post at home and honestly, that is enough. I don't have enough time to read it as it is. There's no need for me to gra the free weekend edition of the Globe and Mail too!

So overall, what did I think? Well, the regular price for this forum was $20. Given the high number of complimentary codes available on the Internet in the last couple of months, I certainly hope that most (if not all) participants attended for free. The $20 price tag and small showing of booths was disappointing. You can literally walk from one end of the room (walking past every booth) in under 20 minutes.

Although I didn't have time to partake in any of the seminars, it looks like they were a big hit with some participants with some of the keynote presenters presenting in front of a standing room audience.

Would I go back next year? Maybe but probably not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

RRSP vs. saving for a home.