Identity Theft?

Earlier this month, I wrote a post about the benefits of obtaining one's credit rating. As a user of bzzagent, I was recently invited to take advantage of a Capital One Credit Card. Initially, I was skeptical about the promotion. When I read that if a bzzagent is approved for a card, they will receive a $75 credit on their credit card.

I quickly debated the pros and cons. Did I really want another credit card for a mere $75 gain? I thought about it and decided to apply for the card early last week. Just today I received a piece of mail from Capital One. Unfortunately, the letter seemed kind of thin. It definitely didn't have a credit card inside. No worries, I said to myself -- maybe they just need more information before they could approve my credit card. Instead, what I read shocked me.

In the letter they told me that they were unable to grant me credit at this time because of my credit standing. I was shocked. This was the first time I had ever been turned down for a credit card. Thoughts quickly raced through my head. I always pay my credit card off on time, never carry a balance (except last year when I used my MBNA and Citibank cards to do Credit Card Arbitrage). So what could it be?

At the moment, I am still waiting for my credit report to come back to me.
Let's hope that I haven't become a victim of identity theft. Perhaps doing the credit card arbitrage affected my credit rating. After hearing the news of the rejection, I immediately lowered the limits of some credit cards that I don't use.

Has anyone out there experienced anything similar? I will definitely post a followup email when I obtain my credit report. Let's hope that I haven't become a victim of identity theft. Fingers crossed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
keep us posted on this...

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

Back from a Hiatus