The Gym Membership


I'm paying about $30 a month for my gym membership. I had thought about canceling it and just using the mini gym in my apartment more, but decided against it because I love the gym that I go to and everything that it offers.

While some people may say that some gyms are big type scammers, I disagree. They are only scammers in the sense that they make or encourage you to sign up for a year long contract. Unfortunately most people that join in January stop going after February. These are the people that usually complain that the gym is scam. To everyone out there that is thinking about signing up for the gym, make sure you read the fine print.

In addition, make sure that you are only signing up for the plan that you need. If you don't plan on using the personal training sessions, don't pay extra for them. Alternatively, if you don't plan on using the tanning machine, why pay extra for that? Make sure you know all your options. Most gyms will give you a week or two free trial to get a feel of the gym. Take advantage of it. After all, if you're not comfortable at that gym, consider looking into another one.

When I signed up for my gym many moons ago, I was able to negotiate directly with the sales agent and actually got him to waive the initiation fee. At the time this saved me $299 (certainly not a small amount of pocket change). And if you're going to sign up for the gym, stick with it. That's the only way to achieve goals. You can't expect to achieve a yearly goal by only working out 2 out of 12 months in a year. That's laughable.

While the mini gym in my apartment has a universal machine and a few treadmills, I don't think it's sufficient. I like the variety of machines and the social atmosphere of the gym something that is sorely missing in the mini gym. Whereas people in my apartment keep breaking the treadmill and universal machine because of misuse, it gets frustrating when I want to just work out a bit.

To me the gym is one of those things that I "splurge" on and wouldn't give up unless things got really dire for me. To me the gym/exercising is as important as eating. I view it as a vital and important part of my life.

Note that I don't smoke or do drugs, so this is my "vice" if you will. The gym. Plus it also gives me the benefit of feeling good.

Today I also managed to pick up some $1 off coupons for Nature Valley bars on my way out. Who said the gym can't save you money!!

Do any of you guys have anything you would not give up even when money is tight? (Things aside from food, shelter, etc...) Let me know!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Another scam is that you may enter to win a free short-term membership, but then when you come in you're hounded to sign up for a whole year. I respect that gyms can motivate people and also provide a social scene, but my personal preference is to save the cash and exercise at home: http://lowtechtimes.com/2008/01/22/the-fitness-scam-part-2/

Popular posts from this blog

Fed up with Pigsback

2019 is officially in the books

RRSP vs. saving for a home.